The story behind Dear Doris Crafting Social

Hello, my dears!

Our dear Grandma Doris
It has been a while since I have written a blog post because life has been wonderfully crazy around here. I wanted to take a minute to share with you the hopes and inspiration behind our new venture: Dear Doris Crafting Social.

As some of my followers know, I've been using my spare time getting creative in my newly organized craft room (well it was organized - there's A LOT going on in here now). I love it though - it reminds me of my Grandma's craft room and it's a complete dream to finally have one of my own. I even have some of my Grandma's craft supplies she passed down to me, and I can truly feel her presence around me as I get into my creative zone.

If I close my eyes, every inch of my Grandma's craft room comes to life. There were stacks upon stacks of little projects she would be working on. She covered just about every project you can think of - sewing, knitting, crocheting, jewelry making, the list goes on. I always think of her when I'm shopping at Michael's - I bet she would have covered every single aisle - just in case there was a new project or idea she could get her hands on. Man, what I would give to go craft shopping with her one more time.

One of my nieces has been showing her creative side and has started a few craft projects of her own. I can see that creative sparkle in her eyes, just like my Grandma. I recently took her to Michael's and a few dollar stores to get her stocked up on supplies. I'm not sure who loved it more - her or I. She had so many questions and so many ideas - it was truly amazing to see her 6-year old mind at work. I'm sure my Grandma was having a good chuckle up in heaven, as she watched us "ooo" and "ahh" over every little bead and ribbon in the store. I cannot wait until our next shopping trip!

About a month ago, as I was tinkering away in my craft room, I had an idea come to me. I have always wanted to host a crafting workshop, but never had the guts to get it off the ground. However, on this particular night, there was something/someone pushing me to "just go ahead and do it already!" So here I am, putting my introvert tendencies aside, to host my very own crafting social - the first of many, I hope!


I have teamed up with my talented sister, Tracy, to host these events. I got a bit of our Grandma's creativity and Tracy got all of her unbelievable cooking skills! She is a natural in the kitchen (just like Grandma), and can whip up quite the spread of scrumptious goodies. So clearly, Tracy will be taking care of the "lunch & refreshments" portion of our social events, because if it were my task, you would be eating chips & maybe some dip, if you were lucky.

Our hope with these events, is to honour our Grandma's legacy. She was such an active member of her community, always involved in different groups and organizations. She was quiet, like us, but still made an effort to get out there and add to the social clubs that kept her and the community active. Tracy and I feel like it's our time to add a little vibrancy to our local communities. We plan to host more crafting socials with different themes and locations throughout the year. We would love to connect with local businesses and organizations to make these events a real treat for our lovely attendees. So if you would like to be involved in our new venture or have a great idea for a future event, please let us know!

The creative and social aspect of these events is also something we hope to carry on. I believe when you have an opportunity to be creative, it can do wonders for your soul. It doesn't matter your age or ability - just giving your inner, artsy side a chance to shine will put you in a peaceful state of mind. It's been a beautiful thing to experience a creative spark passed down from my Grandma, to me and now to my niece. Our goal is to share that spark with you and for everyone to have fun! Let the glitter and glue fly!

Now, as I said before, I am definitely classified as an introvert - so the thought of me hosting a social event is actually quite humorous! I am also very fortunate to have a wonderful group of friends (since kindergarten!) and I know how important new and old friendships are. My dream would be for these crafting socials to become a place where new friendships can be shaped and old friendships can be strengthened. We encourage everyone to come out of their shell (I'm doing it!) and get socializing! There will be plenty of laughs to be had, I'm sure!

These events will always have a vintage vibe to them - because that's just what we do! We're pulling out the teacups and the good china - because when do you ever get to do that anymore? There will be old school music to groove to and antique furniture to lounge on. Come and step back in time with us, my dears!

Lastly, but most importantly - is this - Dear Doris gives back. Our Grandma, was a truly beautiful soul. If there was any way she could help someone out - she would do it. She never wanted to be a burden to anyone, but she would go out of her way to make someone's day a little brighter. So to honour her giving spirit - each of our events will provide a chance for all of us to give back. At our first event on December 3rd, please join us in providing item(s) for our "mitten tree". Any new or gently used toques, scarves or mitts will be collected on our tree and then donated to those in need in our local community. Let's keep our hearts warm by warming the hearts of those who need it most.

Grandma would have wanted it that way.


Thanks for listening, and I hope to see your smiling faces soon!

Love,

Terralyn



Comments

Popular Posts